Re: xterm. Was Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 12:20:05PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:

> On 6/12/22 10:01, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sunday, June 12, 2022 07:53:21 AM gene heskett wrote:
> > > What I do have is konsole and termit, no xterm.
> > For me, konsole does fine -- I can C&P from it with the mouse (and, presumably,
> > keystrokes).
> Well, I gave up and did another 29t install, but in trying to leave out the
> dependecy hell of broken packages trying to install tde-trinity so I could
> get back to familiar, bug free services. but I had to install some gfx just
> to get x or wayland.

Hi Gene,

I _really_ don't know why I'm doing this ...

You've stripped out the other disks so now you have a minimal machine
with one disk and your RAID.

Disconnect all the leads other than keyboard/mouse, one printer.

have:

1. Set the firmware to use UEFI and use it - you'll only have to do it once.

2. Select the *expert* mode - even graphical expert will do for tthe install

3. Go carefully through the installer - there's an option to use the RAID without formatting it and losing all your work.

4. Set the single 1TB to be formatted, use LVM
Mount the RAID where you want it to be by specifying the mount point -
if you click on the drive, it will give you options.

5. Carry on through: one of the options is to set a root password for root.
If you *don't* then you get the sudo solution

6. On tasksel selection screen de-select all bar standard system and, perhaps,
ssh server. Keep it minimal.

7. Then complete the install and reboot. If you don't have synaptic until
you have graphics, use apt - it's the basis for what synaptic is doing
graphically anyway.

8. At that point, install TDE - which should also pull in the needed graphics
libraries.

9 Profit :)

Honestly, you are making this harder for yourself than it ever needs to be,
I think.

LVM will allow stuff that _needs_ to grow to grow slowly without you needing
to bother to specify partitions. The one gotcha might be swap - but, then again,you have swap on your RAID and know how to use swapon command.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

> That's not the important first impression however. Installing without a root
> pw, I am prevented from doing anything to the system setup cuz everything
> but synaptic wants a root pw, and does not accept my pw as user 1000 for
> sudo. Security seems entirely too paranoid. Ant time I change back to the
> gfx screen, I have to go thru the whole login rigermarole so I waste about a
> minute because the gfx are so slow.

Root is barred from logging on to X for good reason :) If you _really_
want root to login graphically, you can change settings on the login manager.