Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Saturday, 11 June 2022 13:28:55 EDT Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > And I did try ext2 for an fs choice. Made no difference, it would
> > > not set the bootable flag. Tried both fat16 and fat32 too.
> > > Spmething would not allow settiing the bootable flag.
>
> The boot flag is set to a partition's description in the partition
> table, not to a filesystem (which is the content of a partition).
>
> Are there particular symptoms by which you notice that the missing boot
> flag causes the failure to boot ? (Other than you see it missing, of
> course.)
>
> If your machine's firmware is EFI:
> Did you fight enough with the user interface of the firmware (reachable
> before booting attempts) in order to enable the disk for booting ?
> There should be some screen or menu with a list of drives from which to
> choose.
It does have efi, but its disabled in the bios.
The main problem was that the bios boot screen did not show the new
drive, it was plugged into SATA6G_5 socket, not it plugged into SATA6G_1,
the older install is on SATA6G_2 and the bios can now see both.

But I'm living alone and this day it wasted so the next thing is scareing
up some dinner and hiding it.

Thank you Thomas.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)