Re: 26th pass at installing 11-3, fails

On Sat, Jun 11, 2022 at 11:06:45AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 June 2022 08:40:15 EDT Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

[...]

(I hope I'm not mixing up the quoting)

> > 537M - FAT - at the very beginning of the disk - the ESP partition -
> > mounted as /boot/efi
> >
> Is that now mandatory for 11.3? It ceretainly wasn't need for 11.0

You're mixing things up: the FAT partition is mandatory for the
EFI booting scheme, not for any specific version of Debian.

[...]

> gene@coyote:~$
> So I assumed I can re-install w/o the EFI bs.

That'll depend on how buggy your BIOS is -- in the one or in
the other direction. Sometimes it doesn't leave you any choice.

> And I did try ext2 for an fs choice. Made no difference, it would not set
> the bootable flag. Tried both fat16 and fat32 too. Spmething would not
> allow settiing the bootable flag.

Read Thomas Schmitt's post on that. He is most probably one of the most
knowledgeable people around here. These days, the bootable flag is mostly
unimportant. But you can set it with fdisk (subcommand `a' if I remember
correctly -- it must be a decennium since I last set one, and I do make
an install from time to time, mind you), if that is so important to you.
Maybe your BIOS is so buggy that it behaves differently based on this
flag's presence, who knows. But most probably you're barking up the
wrong tree.

Cheers