Re: google account say it will no longer deliver email

On Wednesday, June 08, 2022 05:58:44 PM Felmon Davis wrote:
> I don't understand the *logical* connection. logically you can have
> app-specific pw's without 2-step auth. (not sure about the other way
> around.)

Google requires 2-step authorization as a prerequisite to application specific
passwords on their system.  It is not phrased as a recommendation, but I don't
know if it is enforced with code or not.

Anyway, I didn't want to test it, but I may have now spent more time reading /
writing about it that I would have testing it.  Maybe tomorrow (but maybe
not).

> if we leave aside for a moment incriminations of corporate power and
> plots, is there some reason to connect the two methods?

No -- from a purely logical point of view (afaics) there is no reason to
connect them -- Google apparently has some reason that I have not seen
disclosed (I didn't look very hard for it).