Re: google account say it will no longer deliver email

On Wed, 8 Jun 2022, Kamil Jońca wrote:

rhkramer@gmail.com writes:

On Wednesday, June 08, 2022 12:18:58 PM Curt wrote:
On 2022-06-08, Felmon Davis <moelmoel2714@gmail.com> wrote:
that's the thing: I don't understand how the parts fit together; what
is the connection between:

(1) 2-step auth
(2) app-specific pw

Without (1) turned on, you cannot create (2).

But, once you've created (2), can you turn (1) back off (and still have (2)
work)?

I do not remember, but I think, that this makes all "app passwords"
invalid.

I don't understand the *logical* connection. logically you can have app-specific pw's without 2-step auth. (not sure about the other way around.)

if we leave aside for a moment incriminations of corporate power and plots, is there some reason to connect the two methods?

anyway, invalidating your pw's is a good reason not to fool around if you've set up several devices already. so if your app-specific pw gets lost, I guess that justifies the 2-step?

fjd

--
Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.