Needless DNS queries

Hello everybody,

I've installed AdguardHome to serve the clients in my home network.

After checking AdguardHome's query logs I noticed a lot of needless DNS
queries.

When a client queries for a domain and the answer is NXDOMAIN, there is
immediately a second query with the original domain name, but suffixed
with the domain name of my home network.

Example:

1. query: www.example.com (result NXDOMAIN)
2. query: www.example.com.home.lan (result NXDOMAIN)

home.lan is the domain name of my home network, /etc/resolv.conf
contains the following line:

>search home.lan

When I delete this line from /etc/resolv.conf, then the second query
doesn't appear, but I loose the ability to use unqualified hostnames to
refer to local clients. :-((

Up to now I thought, the domain names in the search option is appended
only to unqualified names and not to qualified names. This assumption
seems to be false.

My question: is it possible to apply the search list only to
unqualified names?

Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

Dieter