Re: Discovering DHCP hostname during original system installation

On Tue 31 May 2022 at 14:00:51 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 05/31/2022 11:13 AM, David Wright wrote:
> > On Tue 31 May 2022 at 08:13:57 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> > > I'm using firmware-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso to install Debian onto a
> > > Lenovo T510 [Thinkpad].
> >
> > ✓
> >
> > > I know the netinstaller works on this laptop as I have done a
> > > successful install when within range of of local library's wifi and
> > > the installer is successfully detecting multiple local wifi sources.
> >
> > Which netinstaller?
>
> The one *STATED* in the first sentence!

Demonstrative pronouns help.

> > In the next paragraph, you use the term "standard
> > netinstaller". Does this mean one without firmware?
>
> Of course!

Ok, usually called official here. /My/ standard installer is a firmware
one, as the official ones are a waste of download bandwidth for me.
They only work for a couple of my machines.

> > > I am doing a fresh install from home using an Alcatel Linkzone to
> > > connect to my T-mobile account. I have had no problems doing this with
> > > standard netinstallers.
> >
> > ? That seems to be a new interpretation of the thread:
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/10/msg00571.html
>
> From reading
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2021/10/msg00603.html in that
> thread, I don't think so. That thread referred ti a standard [i.e.
> free] netinst iso. This case is using the non-free firmware. I will
> have to carefully read the entire thread to see if it has point(s) in
> common.

Well, if you have successfully installed at /home/ using the /Alcatel/
and with an /official installer/, then the same success is expected
with the firmware installer, whose difference is just extra packages
in the pool.

> > What's unsaid here is /how/ you use your Alcatel Linkzone to connect.
>
> As I use it daily - it effectively reacts as a traditional modem [the
> wifi aspect disabled].

Well, disabling wifi (not revealed in your OP) was what gave problems
that caused you to post here in the past. The third paragraph in this
thread's OP implies that these problems have been overcome, and that
the current thread might be something about official vs firmware
rather than, say wifi vs ethernet in the normal scenario, or wifi vs
some sort of ?USB link in your case.

Is that fair, and am I correct in pointing out that you still haven't
stated how the laptop is connected to the internet, but that it's not
with a cat5 cable.

> > > After an install over library wifi the system had no problem
> > > connecting to the internet via the Linkzone.
> > /
> > So what's your question? And if it's meant to be the Subject line,
> > I don't see any relationship with the rest of the post.
>
> My entire problem is in the context of running the installer.

Yes, I know you have a problem. And "install" is in the Subject line,
and peppered throughout the OP. Saying you have an installation
problem is not a question. It's the old "What did you expect/observe"
and "Why did they differ".

> > My question is why are you trying to install it again?
>
> 'Cause I want a very different OS configuration. This Thinkpad is a
> test-bed machine.
>
> > And if your
> > problem, whatever it is, is to do with the firmware version (I can't
> > see why extra packages would trip anything up), why do you need it:
> > you've already got all those packages at home anyway.
>
> HUH? ?? ???

If you're installing with a firmware netinst, it has the firmware in it.
If you're installing with an official netinst, you've got the firmware
packages in one of the firmware netinsts that you've used in the past.
If the laptop has another installation of Debian in a different
partition, then the firmware it needs is going to be in that partition's
/lib/firmware.

Judging from the likelihood that you've installed Debian more times
than any other regular on the list, I reckon you can find the firmware
for your machines whenever you need to.

That point clarified, I still don't see a hint of a question,
particularly one that bears any relevance to the Subject line.

Cheers,
David.