Re: Editing the DNS with Network Manager Non Root

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 10:40:01PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
>   … both provide the same program, ●which are allegedly identical
>   at the commandline but implemented completely differently,● so you …

I don't think that's correct.  They have the same *name*, but they
have entirely different invocations, means of operation, configuration,
and so on.  Neither one is a drop-in replacement for the other.  That's
part of what makes the whole situation so egregious.

And it turns out there's a potential third one, too -- systemd's
resolvctl has special behavior if invoked by a symlink named resolvconf.
Fortunately for us, no such symlink exists by default, so all that's
present is a confusing man page.

> And would it be correct to add:
>
>   If resolvconf is installed ●and you're using ifupdown●,
>   you can [add] dns-nameserver entries in the appropriate
>   stanza(s) in /etc/network/interfaces:

That one's pretty good.  I added something similar to the page.