[SOLVED] or [PROBABLY SOLVED] Re: failure of cheese with a Microsoft LifeCam NX-6000

    From: Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com>
    Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2017 09:53:12 +0300
> If either of these show something - you're in luck, your hardware is
> supported, etc.
> If not - I'm out of ideas, sorry.

The original objective was to take the VGA output from a JVC camera
and convert it to a digital image in a commonly used format.

We purchased an adapter made by Inogeni.  Marked on top VGA to USB 3.0.

Apparent serial number VG1903074.

Another number, ICES-3(A)/NMB-3(a), appears to be a model or European
standards number.

WIth the adapter connected to a USB 2 socket in an available desktop
machine with Debian, no image was found. Inside the USB A socket the
contacts are supported by a blade of black or white plastic.

A MS Windows system with a USB 3 socket gave a jaggy image.  =8~)

Recently I put Debian 11 on a Lenovo ThinkCentre equiped with USB 3
sockets. The plastic blade supporting the contacts is blue.

Initially this gave an image similar to the Windows system.  The VGA
came from an old laptop where a display resolution of 1024 x 768 had
worked. Therefore qv4l2 was used to adjust image acquisition to 1024 x
768. That removed jagginess.  =8~)  The resulting qv4l2 image is
similar or identical to the display on the source laptop.

When the system is connected to the JVC camera and a microsope, I
should be able to give a further update.

Thanks to Reco and others for replies.

Footnote
"USB 3.0 essential for output" is more stringent than "USB 3.0
supported".  If v4l in the original system had produced a message that
a USB 3 device was connected to inadequate USB 2, that would have been
helpful.

Regards,                   ... P.

--
mobile: +1 778 951 5147