Re: Editing the DNS with Network Manager Non Root

David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> writes:

> On 5/11/22 06:55, Richmond wrote:
>> I have a network manager applet on my xfce4 desktop. I am logged in as a
>> non root user, and I can select edit connections and change the IPv4
>> settings to DHCP address only and then put in a DNS, then save. If I
>> look at /etc/resolv.conf though nothing has changed. Restarting
>> networking or rebooting makes no difference. Perhaps this menu option
>> should only appear for root, or should cause an error message for non
>> root users?
>

> I typically need to enter the root password whenever I make changes
> via the Xfce NetworkManager Applet.
>

> Please run and post:
>
> $ cat /etc/debian_version ; uname -a
>
> $ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
>
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>

> David
11.3
Linux marvin 5.16.0-0.bpo.3-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian
5.16.11-1~bpo11+1 (2022-03-02) x86_64 GNU/Linux

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79 May 12 15:15 /etc/resolv.conf

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver fe80::1%enp2s0

That address 192.168.1.1 is not what I usually have, I was
experimenting, trying to find out if my router is vulnerable to the DNS
spoofing reported recently.