DM crashes in Sid

Ihave Mate, Gnome Flashback, and XFCE installed.  Today, when starting up, all three will start, then exit with extreme prejudice.  Mate was doing that before, so, being lazy, I switched to XFCE, and didn't try to diagnose and solve and fix. But now all are doing it.  Also, the virtual terminals (Alt-Ctrl-F2, etc.) are behaving a bit weirdly, and will not show a bash prompt.

Oddly, when I rebooted and started in rescue mode, when I changed to user mode via SU, as in su george, I expected that typing startx, I might get some error messages.  But X works, and LightDM works, and when I logged into Mate, Mate continued to work, when it hadn't been working for months.

What do I need to do to discover the problem?  Running Sid.  I recall a similar problem for someone else, a segfault-or-other, I think, that I seem to recall involved deleting a config file.  If someone that recalls that could post a link, it'd be great, or could coach me how to diagnose and fix, or at least tell me what to Google for...

Thanks

Mark Allums