Re: mariadb does not run

On Tue, May 03, 2022 at 08:39:12AM +0200, Lucio Crusca wrote:
> Il 03/05/22 07:04, tomas@tuxteam.de ha scritto:
> > According to this huge mess, the log file is somewhere in
> > /var/lib/mysql/t470.err (the number '470' is the process
> > ID, aka PID, so it will change at every start).
> >

> Actually t470 is my hostname so it stays the same.

Ah, got it, thanks.

> I had already looked at that logfile and I had already written here that the
> error messages in that logfile are the same of those shown by `systemctl
> status mariadb`:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/05/msg00041.html
>
> which are reported in my first post:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2022/05/msg00027.html
>
> but english is not my native language, maybe I did not express myself
> clearly enough. I hope it's now clear.

Sorry I missed that. It's most probably my bad attention spam,
not your English. That one is no worse than mine :-)

Looking at the mariadb entry in my process list (Debian Bullseye),
I see (breaking up the long line at spaces):

  mysql     2473  0.0  0.6 1608036 98724 ?       Sl   06:15   0:03
        /usr/sbin/mariadbd --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
          --plugin-dir=/usr/lib/mysql/plugin --user=mysql
          --skip-log-error --pid-file=/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
          --socket=/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

If I've read the output of your "-x" run correctly, it's trying
to start with "--basedir=/" instead of /usr. This, at least, looks
fishy to me.

Any chance you could try to run a command line as above and see
whether the daemon likes to start?

This would give us something to bisect the problem.

Cheers