Re: What do folks use to mirror repositories

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 07:03:14AM -0400, Sam wrote:
> That's pretty much it. I want to mirror all my updates to a single server on
> my LAN and have everything on my LAN apt update from it. This seems more
> efficient than having everyone download their own copies.
>
> Google told me to use apt-mirror. My updates repository turned out to have
> some metadata filename with an @ in it, apt-mirror refuses to do anything
> with this state of affairs. I learned (after poking apt-mirror's page( that
> this bug was two years old, but the project is not maintained any more.
> Digging through aptly-mirror's bug tracker I caught a reference to aptly.

It depends: if you've got a lot of machines, you could do worse than ftpsync
 - which, despite it's name, uses mostly rsync - and Apache.

https://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror.el.html tells you to use ftpsync or
debmirror

See, for example, my blog on Planet Debian from a while ago for fairly
detailed instructions:

http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2020/02/rebuilding-mirror-software-mirroring-of.html

[ftpsync setup]

and

http://flosslinuxblog.blogspot.com/2020/02/rebuilding-mirror-fedora-epel-mirroring.html

[which details the Apache setup]

I don't exclude architectures or distributions - so I have a full Debian
mirror with everything on (apart from anything served only by security.d.o).

If you _only_ need amd64 and _only_ need the current distribution, for
example, your mirror will be very significantly smaller.

> So, that brings me to: what do
> folks use to mirror repositories?

Hope this helps.

With every good wish, as ever,