Re: got a mdadm puzzler

On Monday, 14 March 2022 17:10:10 EDT Andy Smith wrote:
> Gene,
>
> I just don't know where to start with finding relevant bits to quote
> from your text.
>
> I find it unlikely that several of the drives you have bought should
> all be failed and dead. I'm concerned that you're prematurely
> jumping to conclusions and junking them.

Plugged back in, on different cables, they are incomunicado. Smartctl
sees them, and hangs the system boot when it gets no response. Only way
to boot is to powerdown and remove them, them the raid10 is found and the
rest of the boot is fine.

And I am beginning to think in terms of a mobo problem, the bios is only
seeing the cpu bus a .9 something volts, and the cpu fan at 721 rpm, but
nothing else and gkrellm isn't even seeing any of that.

> It's normal for the device nodes to change as you unplug and plug
> drives. They will increment through the alphabet until /dev/sdz
> turns into /dev/sdaa and so on. If you are referring to drives by
> the device node then this will confuse you and inevitably lead to a
> catastrophic error. You may be better off consistently using the
> links in /dev/disk/by-id/ which will be based upon the drive serial
> numbers.
>
> Maybe it would be best to put the 4 drives aside and try to get a
> stable working system before you mess with them again. This talk of
> not being able to reboot sounds like a more serious thing to get
> straightened out.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> --