Re: got a mdadm puzzler

Hello,

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 01:06:39PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 March 2022 08:50:07 EST Andy Smith wrote:
> > I think it still might be worth changing the cable and/or moving the
> > drive about to see if the error follows the drive or stays with the
> > port.

[…]

> Difficult at best. All 4 drives from the same purchase, mounted 2 to the
> 3.5" adapter, and all 4 shoved into a front panel-less drive cage below
> the floppy slot in a huge tower case about 17 yo. Rather than blame data
> cables, I'd start by changing out the power splitter cables, this psu
> doesn't have near enough sata power plugs for 7 drives, only 1 of which
> is spinning rust.

I don't think you need to replace every cable (power and data) at
once. If you locate which drive is on ata6 now, and move it to
another port, then whether the error follows the drive or stays with
the port will provide useful information.

Just try to only change one thing at a time so if symptoms do change
then you can tell what you did to provoke that.

Cheers,
Andy