Re: got a mdadm puzzler

On Saturday, 12 March 2022 08:50:07 EST Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 02:11:23PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Friday, 11 March 2022 13:11:14 EST Andy Smith wrote:

> > > Did you not at any point think that letting us know what the exact
> > > error message was would be useful here?
> >
> > IF that error message ever made it to the logs, I don't know which
> > one. Its output to the screen, but I'll grep syslog for ata6.  Found
> > some, first instance was reboot, 2nd instance was bootup from a full
> > powerdown of about 5 seconds:
> >
> > Mar  8 15:55:01 coyote kernel: [    0.699889] ata6: SATA max UDMA/133
> > abar m2048@0xdf34b000 port 0xdf34b380 irq 126
> > Mar  8 15:55:01 coyote kernel: [    6.071345] ata6: link is slow to
> > respond, please be patient (ready=0)
> > Mar  8 15:55:01 coyote kernel: [   10.759342] ata6: COMRESET failed
> > (errno=-16)
>
> Okay well this is nothing to do with your RAID, it's at a much lower
> level.
>
> I'd suspect a faulty drive if it wasn't for the fact that you say it
> doesn't happen if you boot from power off, only from a reboot.
>
> I think it still might be worth changing the cable and/or moving the
> drive about to see if the error follows the drive or stays with the
> port.
>
> Do you have multiple of this model of drive? If so then it would be
> interesting that it only happens with one of them - again points to
> hardware problem. But if you only have the one then you can't tell
> that.
>
> > Mar  8 15:56:06 coyote kernel: [    1.000270] ata6.00: ATA-9:
> > ST2000DM001-1ER164, CC25, max UDMA/133
>
> Hopefully that model number and serial gives you enough information
> to locate the correct drive.

Difficult at best. All 4 drives from the same purchase, mounted 2 to the
3.5" adapter, and all 4 shoved into a front panel-less drive cage below
the floppy slot in a huge tower case about 17 yo. Rather than blame data
cables, I'd start by changing out the power splitter cables, this psu
doesn't have near enough sata power plugs for 7 drives, only 1 of which
is spinning rust. But I'll have to order some more as I think I've only 1
spare left from building it. But I just checked, all splitters left are
old 4 pin molex's. I have enough cables to change all the data cables,
black ones of course since the pretty red ones are 3 year cables,
maximum.

And I'm out in small town america, so I'll see what amazon has. Maybe
they csn simplify the mess I have for power cabling now. 4 pack of molex
to sata splitters, s/b here Monday.

Thank you Andy.
> Cheers,
> Andy