Re: Wayland vs X

On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, Marco M?ller wrote:

Isn't it all about X by design to not be able to safely protect a running X applications to snoop on other running X applications, something like the content of a window cannot safely kept private? I remember to have read that Wayland was invented for this reason, to overcome these security flaws of X which in the beginning of X have not been a concern to anyone, but nowadays security issues are of much importance to almost everyone. (I have no reference for this statement, just remember to have something like this read in the past)

This is definitely true. Not sure if xev lets you pass in a window on
the commandline but if not it's trivial to hack it to snoop on say
keystrokes to any window. My ipmi-on-rpi uses exactly this trick to hook
keystrokes typed to the video player without having to patch the code.