Re: Installing/Preparing Debian on a headless system

On 10/3/22 01:57, Christian Britz wrote:
Hello,

after learning that the Debian-based RaspberryPi OS does not get
security fixes always in time (see dirty-pipe), I am considering
installing pure Debian on my system. It seems not all proprietary
components are supported, but I don't need video acceleration anyway,
for example. My Pi acts as a home server.

The thing is, the Pi is headless, it was never connected to a monitor or
keyboard, all configuration was done via SSH on a pre-built Raspberry PI
OS image. I do not even have an USB keyboard and the Pi has obviously no
PS/2 connectors.

Do you have some ideas for me, how I could prepare a minimal Debian
image on my notebook which is able to boot on the Pi and has already an
user and SSH configured? Everything else I would setup remotely.

Thank you,
Christian

Good afternoon Christian

I'm not sure why you aren't getting security updates. When I run # apt update on my Pi4, the first line of output is :

Get:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security InRelease [44.1 kB]

uname :
Linux rasp14 5.10.92-v8+ #1514 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 17 17:39:38 GMT 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Should there be more that I am missing?

Tim
Thanks for the link to Gunnar's image. My next project, well maybe the one after. Thanks

--
All the best

Keith Bainbridge

keithrbaugroups@gmail.com