Re: Installing/Preparing Debian on a headless system

On Wed, 9 Mar 2022, Christian Britz wrote:

Hello,

after learning that the Debian-based RaspberryPi OS does not get
security fixes always in time (see dirty-pipe), I am considering
installing pure Debian on my system. It seems not all proprietary
components are supported, but I don't need video acceleration anyway,
for example. My Pi acts as a home server.

The thing is, the Pi is headless, it was never connected to a monitor or
keyboard, all configuration was done via SSH on a pre-built Raspberry PI
OS image. I do not even have an USB keyboard and the Pi has obviously no
PS/2 connectors.

Do you have some ideas for me, how I could prepare a minimal Debian
image on my notebook which is able to boot on the Pi and has already an
user and SSH configured? Everything else I would setup remotely.

There is someone who does prebuilt pure debian images that will get you
started.

https://itsfoss.com/debian-raspberry-pi/

This reply from Gunnar Wolf might help you too:

Hello Tim!

Tim Woodall dijo [Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 12:49:18PM +0000]:
Hi,

Many thanks for your debian images for the raspberry pi. They solved
my
confusion after I tried to do this myself and failed miserably.

I am very happy that my work is useful to you!

One tiny change I'd quite like you to consider is either an
authorized_keys file for root where you publish the private key or a
root password set rather than empty so that you can login using ssh on
an initial boot.

Take a look at /boot/firmware/sysconf.txt (that is, /sysconf.txt in
the firmware partition, the partition formatted with vfat). It has:

# root_authorized_key - Set an authorized key for a root ssh login
#root_authorized_key=

Greetings!