Re: Installing/Preparing Debian on a headless system

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 05:08:21PM +0100, Christian Britz wrote:

> On 2022-03-09 16:53 UTC+0100, Christian Britz wrote:
> >

> > On 2022-03-09 16:50 UTC+0100, Brian wrote:
> >> The short answer is that you use the network-console udeb. To do that,
> >> I preseed wirh
> >>
> >>   d-i anna/choose_modules string network-console
> >>
> >> I boot with  a netinst using hd-media and pressed from a file.
> > That sounds very interesting, can you please give a little bit more of
> > details? I never have worked with preseeding before.
> Re-thinking about it, I probably can't use the Debian installer on the
> Raspi (it does not support UEFI). I probably need to modify one of the
> images at https://raspi.debian.net/

Which Raspberry Pi model - Pete Batard has a version of UEFI that works on
a Pi 4 and can boot enough to then use the Debian installer. Essentially,
you put UEFI and the raspberry pi firmware package in the ESP on a USB stick
or disk.

Otherwise, you can probably use one of Gunnar Wolf's images which will
allow you to ssh in as root initially. See his pages on the Wiki.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater