Re: Wayland vs X

On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 4:40 AM Christian Britz <cbritz@t-online.de> wrote:
Hi Kevin,

On 2022-03-08 23:01 UTC+0100, Kevin Exton wrote:
> I tried Wayland some years ago now (might have been when they first
> trialled it in Ubuntu) but decided not to stick with it.
>
> Since more desktop environments are beginning to choose Wayland as the
> default display protocol, I was wondering if others think there's
> significant user benefits to making the change?

I had it running for a while recently with KDE Plasma, because I wanted
to try out waydroid, which only supports Wayland. My impression was,
that it has improved a lot and is in a somewhat usable state, but I
quickly changed back to X.

Here's something about the X ecosystem that I don't understand anymore. I've read the statement
that "X isn't developed anymore, only XFree86". In other words, X source was re-based to Xfree86
a long time ago. So it must be that in the XFree86-based X Windows, only the X server is under active
development, nothing more than that. Is that accurate?

I felt that programs designed for X and programs designed for Wayland
don't interact well (copy/paste and so on) and Plasma support for
Wayland is not as mature as for X.
My biggest concern is that we will see over the next years a big
division of the GUI application eco system. Some programs will stay
optimised for X, some will even require Wayland, like the mentioned
waydroid. Hopefully a full transparency can somehow be achieved.

And isn't that what happened once already? When XFree86 re-based X Windows?

Regards,
Christian

--
http://www.cb-fraggle.de