Re: Changing hardware

piorunz <piorunz@gmx.com> writes:

> Free drivers are terrible to use if user wants hardware acceleration.
> Clocks are not ramped up, because nouveau does not support re-clocking.
> That means horrible performance, or crashes. I don't ever recommend, or
> sometimes even mention, nouveau.

Hear, hear. I was actually surprised recently when my "new" laptop
actually produced video with nouveau but after some glitches I just
installed the proprietary nvidia-driver. This "new" laptop is 2016
vintage with Quadro M2000 video, roughly equivalent to a GTX950 and
hence Maxwell-based. Even for it especially the power management and
video decode/encode acceleration support look pretty sad on the Nouveau
feature matrix (https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/FeatureMatrix.html).

Not to mention the RTX3070Ti in my desktop.

Still, impressive effort from the Nouveau project considering how many
chips Nvidia has pushed out over the years.