Re: Changing hardware

piorunz composed on 2022-03-08 23:15 (UTC):

> James Allsopp wrote:

>> My old core2 (8gb ram) died after a power cycle,so I bought an AMD Ryzen
>> 5800 with 32Gb Ram and a new motherboard and a new nvidia graphics

> You could have purchased Radeon GPU... Now you will be on mercy of
> Nvidia to provide you with up to date, and compatible non-free firmware
> for your GPU. Radeon on the other hand, are always up to date, and
> always free, as drivers for that GPU are built in the kernel.

Free drivers exist for NVidia GPUs too, nouveau for the GPU device driver,
modesetting DIX and nouveau DDX to choose from for the display driver. The latter
is old technology, reverse-engineered, and optional.

> nvidia-detect package: run nvidia-detect tool and it will tell you which
> nvidia driver package you need to install to have proprietary driver for
> your GPU.

NVidia's proprietary drivers are optional, not required, so the extra nuisance of
them, when installed, is self-imposed.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata