Re: Problems with custom install of MATE

On Tue 08 Mar 2022 at 15:11:28 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 03/08/2022 12:49 PM, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 08 Mar 2022 at 07:11:51 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > > As I have a very low data cap and wish to avoid some "recommended"
> > > components I have done:
> >
> > Low data caps always tug at the heartstrings, but avoiding Recommends:
> > can be a recipe for disaster (for you or us)).
>
> HUH? ?? ??????? ;/ ! !!  !!!
> How does avoiding "Recommends" on *MY* personal universe, affect you?

Is that what you call an argument in response to my criticism? Your
personal universe only comcerns me when it impinges on everyone
else's normal universe.

> > My recollection is that you use a set of purchased DVDs for the purpose
> > of saving bandwidth. Hvae you lost them?
>
> I used purchased DVDs (frequently flash drives) as last resort.

Last resort? Really? That's a new strategem. I'll provide links for
the following quotes from some of your mails if I have to:

Debian installs for the bandwidth limited (e.g. dialup)
  I install from purchased DVD sets as I am on dialup.

Using ISO image of installer DVD as repository - How?-
  Due to bandwidth constraints [originally on dial-up, now just a low
  data cap] all but one of my installs have been from purchased DVD
  sets.

Installing Stretch/Testing with absolute minimal bandwith useage
  I'd see the netinst ISO as Debian's flagship product. A stack of DVDs
  puts icing on the cake with a multitude of packages and very much
  reduced bandwidth usage.

Problem attempting to use xorriso
---------------------------------
  Due to limited bandwidth I purchase complete sets of Debian install
  DVDs.

Installing a MINIMAL Mate Desktop How?
-------------------------------------
  As I have minimal bandwidth available I am installing from purchased
  DVD's...

> > WARNING: Lateral thinking coming up :).
> >
> > > 1. a text mode install [including "standard utilities"] using
> > >     debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso .
> >
> > No bandwidth used.
>
> *HUH* ? ?? ??? ???????????????**6.23*10**23
> The first thing that ISO does is connect me to internet

Installing the standard utilities does not require the internet. Using
a netinst ISO does not require an internet connection. Pull yourself
together :).

> > > 2. apt-get --no-install-recommends install mate-desktop-environment
> >
> > You have a DVD with that on?
>
> Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never looked?

> > > 3. apt-get install xinit
> > > 4. apt-get --no-install-recommends install xorg gparted synaptic pluma
> >
> > xinit, xorg, gparted and synaptic are on DVD-1.
 >
> But Who? has DVD1 ???

You have.

> Try reading before responding.

Any more naff advice to give?