Re: Dependency bug demonstrated???? - was [Re: Problems with custom install of MATE]

> Before I retired I spent decades in customer and engineering support.
> Became familiar clashing desires and corner cases.
> I wasn't looking at X needing a DM, but rather that if the DE {MATE in my
> case} was going to be useful it had to start [preferably automatically].

But you don't need a DM to start a session running MATE.
[ You don't even need an X server installed, actually, since you could
  be running the whole DE remotely, tho I don't know how well this
  works nowadays.  ]

        Stefan