Re: Dependency bug demonstrated???? - was [Re: Problems with custom install of MATE]

On 03/08/2022 10:45 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Tue, Mar 08, 2022 at 08:40:02AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

"apt-get --no-install-recommends install lightdm" solved #1 and #2.
Does that demonstrate a dependency bug?

Most definitely not. X doesn't need the DM to run. Actually there are
folks out there that want to start up in console mode and start X only
on demand (I did that, for quite a while, FWIW).

Before I retired I spent decades in customer and engineering support.
Became familiar clashing desires and corner cases.
I wasn't looking at X needing a DM, but rather that if the DE {MATE in my case} was going to be useful it had to start [preferably automatically].

Disabling recomends is not... recommended by default (I do, but then
I'm willing to cope with the ocassional fallout).

But I'm on the other side of the quandary.
For my use case, installing recommends degrades my user experience.

A goal of the Debian installer team has been that anyone of any experience level &/or familiarity with Debian could just install then compute. They succeeded!

I want to grok Debian's internals well enough to come up with a solution *I* like ;/! But not be offensive to the rest of the world.

Cheers