Re: Problems with custom install of MATE

On Tue 08 Mar 2022 at 07:11:51 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> As I have a very low data cap and wish to avoid some "recommended"
> components I have done:

Low data caps always tug at the heartstrings, but avoiding Recommends:
can be a recipe for disaster (for you or us)).

My recollection is that you use a set of purchased DVDs for the purpose
of saving bandwidth. Hvae you lost them?

WARNING: Lateral thinking coming up :).

> 1. a text mode install [including "standard utilities"] using
>    debian-11.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso .

No bandwidth used.

> 2. apt-get --no-install-recommends install mate-desktop-environment

You have a DVD with that on?

> 3. apt-get install xinit
> 4. apt-get --no-install-recommends install xorg gparted synaptic pluma

xinit, xorg, gparted and synaptic are on DVD-1.

--
Brian.