Re: Conviently having netinst.iso on a 32GB flash drive

Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,

  :)

> songbird wrote:
>> one of the nice people here posted a program for doing this
>> called make_isombr_part (or something similar).
>
> That was me.
>
> Presentation of first version:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg01215.html
>
> Richard Owlett's encounter first failed because the binary was amd64 and
> his architecture was i386:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg01218.html
> I then proposed to build it from source, which seems to have succeeded:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg01225.html
>

>> i have two versions of it now, but it was a five years ago and
>> i don't recall if i made the changes or got a new version from
>> the author.  :)
>
> Your request for a dry-run mode was fulfilled by a new version:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg01268.html
> which needed a fix because of a misleading program message:
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg01270.html
> That's the version which is still available as
>   http://scdbackup.webframe.org/make_isombr_part.c
>   MD5 dd3e1a16e9593f908a1ce9ec848fd929

  :)  i have no recall of that any more (my brain's been
reused by many things over the past five years), but thank
you!  :)

> (My local version is slightly younger and seems to have been augmented
> for being able to determine the USB stick size on FreeBSD, too. Dunno
> whether this was for real use or just some finger exercises for myself.)
>
>>   3. add boot loader (syslinux)
>
> Why this step ?
> The ISO brings a SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX boot loader for legacy BIOS (and GRUB
> for EFI). The MBR of the ISO hops onto the ISOLINUX boot image which then
> brings up the SYSLINUX boot menu.
>
> What negative effect did you see when not performing this step 3 ?

  i have no idea or recall.  it may have been some fantasy on
my part.  my rough notes were written to make sure i had some
way of knowing what i was up to but i only did it the one time
back then and didn't need to use those notes again (or i'd
have fixed them up).  for me it helps to have at least a stick
poking in about the right direction instead of having to learn
it all all over again, even if those notes may not be complete.

> Have a nice day :)

  :)  same to you!  :)

  songbird