Re: Conviently having netinst.iso on a 32GB flash drive

On Sun, 6 Mar 2022 04:06:23 -0600
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> Currently I use
> > dd if=netinst.iso bs=64M of=/dev/sdb
>
> I would like way to copy it such that:
> 1. a legacy BIOS could launch it
> 2. Gparted would not complain about block size
> 3. there would be at least two partitions usable misc files

This probably doesn't quite meet all your needs, but it's fairly new
and not widely known yet, you may want to investigate it anyway:

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

It's new, so here may be dragons, but I've used it a bit and nothing
has broken yet. I have four Debian netinst.iso images (including an
i386) and winpe.iso on an 8GB microSD. Installation wipes the card, then
makes two partitions (one EFI), but the exfat iso partition is still
writable for files and directories. I don't know about the prospects of
shrinking the exfat partition, I don't use the format myself, but the
documents suggest you can reformat it to practically anything.

--
Joe