Re: Which flavour for a 2GB RAM laptop?

Ottavio Caruso [2022-03-05 10:10:41] wrote:
> On 05/03/2022 00:56, David Christensen wrote:
>> On 3/4/22 02:47, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>>> One of my memory slot has died,
>> I would retire that computer.
> Thanks. Where do I send my bank details for the funding of a new laptop?

Agreed here: no need to create more electronic junk if the system still
works well enough.

> CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-3217U bits: 64 type: MT
> MCP L2 cache: 3072 KiB
>            Speed: 798 MHz min/max: 800/1800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2:
>           798 3: 798 4: 798

1.8GHz is disappointingly slow for a 2012 system, but I spend most of my
time working on 2GHz machines of the Core2 era and rarely miss the extra
speed of my more modern systems, so that's probably no strong reason to
replace the machine.
[ Obviously, that depends on your usage pattern.  ]

> Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
>            Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded:
>           fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
>            OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile v: 4.2 Mesa
>           18.3.6

Here I must admit that I wouldn't be able to work with such a runt screen.

> Memory:    RAM: total: 1.73 GiB used: 898.5 MiB (50.7%)
>            Array-1: capacity: 16 GiB slots: 2 EC: None
>            Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 size: No Module Installed
>            Device-2: ChannelB-DIMM0 size: 2 GiB speed: 1333 MT/s

As is surprisingly frequent, the official spec from Lenovo says the max
is 8GB even though the above says the max is actually 16GB.
That's probably because the 8GB SODIMMs were not available yet when the
machine was released even tho the hardware already supported them.

In any case, a quick look suggests 8GB of DDR3-1600MHz SODIMMs will set
you back about $50.  Depending on the use you make of the machine and
your budget, $25 will get you 4GB which together with the 2GB you
already have will get you 6GB which should be quite sufficient.

If you're thrifty you might even be able to find such a 4GB SODIMM for
free by asking some friends (it's considered old enough that people may
have such parts lying around not used any more).

        Stefan