Re: how many W a PSU for non-gaming Debian?

On Fri, 2022-03-04 at 23:33 +0100, Linux-Fan wrote:
[...]
> Please keep the following points in mind when doing PSU wattage sizing for
> modern PCs:
>
>  - Judging a CPU by its thermal design power is no longer feasible due
>    to some CPUs permanently overclocking while the actually available
>    cooling power permits it. On some Intel CPUs this can mean about twice
>    the power than you would have expected.

I concur, my CPU has a TDP of 65W but getting all threads spinning in a
loop jumps the power to more than 120W, and CPU quickly rising to max
junction temperature (95C) for a minute or two until the the system
resets :-(

I installed thermald to manage temperatures, but it seems crap
firmware/Linux design that lets system run at unreliable and life
shortening temperatures without some user-side daemon running and
throttle CPU speed to keep things from overheating.

--
Tixy