Re: how many W a PSU for non-gaming Debian?

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 06:47:14PM +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Alexis Grigoriou wrote:
>
> >> I've heard that for gaming you would want a 600~800W PSU
> >> [1] but how do I know how many W I need for my computer
> >> use? I think the most resource-intense I do would be
> >> compiling and watching multimedia on mpv. [2]
> >
> > Cooler Master has a PSU calculator.
> > https://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
> >
> > You have to enter CPU, GPU (make and model), HDD, SDD and so
> > on, and it calculates how much wattage is required.
> > Add another 25% as stated above and you're good to go.
>
> Thanks!
>
> I did compute it manually from [1] and the CPU, fans,
> motherboard, RAM and SSD are at most 232W.
>
> CPU          AMD mid end (4 cores)  125
> fans          80 mm (3K RPM)          9   (3*3W =  9W)
>              120 mm (2K RPM)         12   (2*6W = 12W)
> motherboard  high end                80
> RAM          ~DDR3 (1.5V)             3   (actually it is a DDR4)
> SSD                                   2.8
>
> (+ 125 (* 3 3) (* 2 6) 80 3 2.8) ; 231.8W
>
> The only thing left is the GPU, I take it even in that PSU
> calculator if you input the msi Nvidia Geforce GT 710 it is
> the maximum use (gaming) you get as output.
>
> [1] https://www.buildcomputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html
>
> --
> underground experts united
> https://dataswamp.org/~incal

If your draw is a max of 230W and you use a 300W power supply, you've still got to account for inrush current to capacitors as the machine is switched on.

A larger PSU in wattage terms may have better capacitors, more capacity to
withstand dips and spikes in mains voltage and may have a better power factor
so be more effective overall.

the cost differential between 300 and 600W should be relatively small.

Easier to overspecify: the other thing is that larger PSU wattages may have
quieter / better quality fans. I love almost silent PCs.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater