Re: how many W a PSU for non-gaming Debian?

On Fri, Mar 04, 2022 at 04:24:40PM +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> I've heard that for gaming you would want a 600~800W PSU [1]
> but how do I know how many W I need for my computer use?
> I think the most resource-intense I do would be compiling and
> watching multimedia on mpv. [2]

That depends on the components in the computer.
The reason why gaming configuration often require a more
powerful power supply, because these use parts which consume
in general more power (gpu mainly).

> Can you use powertop(1) for this or some other tool or can it
> not be measured at the software level? And if it can't, can
> you estimate it somehow?

just sum up the thermal max load of the parts (you need the spec sheets).
and add 25% for general inefficiency.

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com