Re: Which flavour for a 2GB RAM laptop?

> One of my memory slot has died, so I am running a Thinkpad with 2GB ram
> only. I have been told that, even if I put a 4GB ram module in, it won't be
> as fast as 2x2GB ram (true? Stop me here if I am wrong). Never mind put an
> 8GB stick; it might not even work.

AFAIK yes, your machine may be faster with 2x2GB than with 1x4GB, but
the difference will depend a lot on the specific application and I'd
expect that in most cases you won't notice it unless you actively try to
measure it.  Whether 2GB+4GB would be faster or slower than 2x2GB will
depend even more on the application.  I'd go with the "more RAM" option
because the worse slowdown you might experience just because the RAMs
aren't paired is much less than the slowdown you experience when the
machine needs to swap for lack of RAM.

If I were you I'd check with something like thinkwiki what the machine
can take and upgrade it to as much RAM you can (within technical and
financial limits).

> At the moment I'm running a heavily hacked LMDE4 (Buster) with a lot of Mint
>  customisations off. What flavour of Debian should I replace my LMDE4 with?
>  And does it make any difference? My memory hogs are Chromium and Firefox,
> the rest is ok.

I occasionally use a 1GB laptop (Thinkpad X30) with XFCE4 and Debian
stable, and regularly use a 3GB laptop (Thinkpad T60)  with XFCE4 and
Debian testing.  I can't give a reliable estimate, but my guess is that
2GB should be enough that running a more lightweight desktop environment
than what you have will not make a significant difference.  The memory
hogs you mention will still eat all your memory anyway.

        Stefan