Re: Which flavour for a 2GB RAM laptop?

On 3/4/22 02:58, Christian Britz wrote:

On 2022-03-04 11:47 UTC+0100, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
One of my memory slot has died, so I am running a Thinkpad with 2GB ram
only. I have been told that, even if I put a 4GB ram module in, it won't
be as fast as 2x2GB ram (true? Stop me here if I am wrong). Never mind
put an 8GB stick; it might not even work.
As far as I know this depends on the design / architecture of the
chipset / motherboard.

At the moment I'm running a heavily hacked LMDE4 (Buster) with a lot of
Mint customisations off. What flavour of Debian should I replace my
LMDE4 with? And does it make any difference? My memory hogs are Chromium
and Firefox, the rest is ok.
You should run Debian stable for daily use. If performance is your main
concern, try one of the light desktop environments (Xfce, LXDE,
LXQT...).

I keep hearing about Xfce being "light"

it defiantly is, but I decided to compare it to my personal favorite Mate

Two fresh netinstalls, same machine, same SSD drive. Xfce and Mate desktops

xfce:  774 MIB ram used .. 4 GIB / space used
mate:  719 MIB ram used .. 6 GIB / space used
mate*:  722 MIB ram used .. 6 GIB / space used

*Mate with the mate-desktop-environment-extras metapackage

I did not stress test either but the apparent speed was the same

I like the simplicity of LXQT, although I have recently fallen
in love with Cutefish (not yet in Debian).

Regards,
Christian