cups problem, no response from cups

Greetings all;

I finally managed to get it to reboot w/o hanging at 10 the second mark
forever. Somebody finally told me how to disable the objectionable stuff
using systemctl in systemd/system. So now a reboot is not another re-
install.

Now I'm trying and failing to get my printers to behave, two problems,
might be related.

1. The default non-driver for my Brother MFC-J6920DW goes thru the
motions of being deleted after sudo'ing, but the deletion is then causing
a cups restart, and that apparently restores this non-functional
configuration, making 3 configs.  And the no-driver version cannot be
deleted.

I have 2 other brother driver profiles using brothers driver that do
work, but in addition to that one I also have a b&w laser, which also
shows up twice in the printers list, but:

2. none of these profiles remember the choices made for how its supposed
to handle the instant job, you have to go through the whole menu of
options for every job you send to hard copy.

Telling it to do all jobs sent to that profile in duplex, landscape, and
long edge binding in the profile doesn't work, but has to be done in the
printer requester (kde5?), per job.  All this worked perfectly in
stretch, using TDE, not KDE and I'd save a whole forest if I could
restore that function in bullseye.

Any help/hope?

Thanks. Take care & stay well all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.