Re: Startx works, but sddm/lightdm/xdm doesn't

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> But sddm doesn't work.  In fact, when it starts, it causes my monitor to
> go "no signal".  Oddly, though, if I can log in blindly, then once I hit
> enter after putting in my password, KDE will come up and work like it
> should.
>
> I also tried lightdm and xdm.  Both of them also had "no signal" when
> starting.

That kind of points to a problem with a shared config file. I only know
sddm a little, its startup script /etc/sddm/Xsession ends with

. /etc/X11/Xsession

so it reads commands from there. Which in turn refers a whole bunch of
config files. I'd guess xdm and lightdm do the same. But good luck
figuring out what's wrong, especially if you have a new install where
you haven't tweaked anything? You didn't restore an old home directory
from backup for example?

What about installing the non-free nvidia-driver?

> It is using the nouveau driver.  There are no errors in Xorg.0.log,
> journalctl, dmesg, syslog, or the xsession log.  lspci doesn't show any
> other graphics adapter.  xrandr on the sddm session shows it detected
> the appropriate output at the appropriate resolution.  Xorg.0.log looks
> completely appropriate; detecting devices, setting them up, etc.

Curious. I do seem to get quite a lot of messages in ~/.xsession-errors
on my laptop, although they don't all look like errors.