Re: Uninstalling a package removes other essential packages: What is the best course of action?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 05:14:36PM -0600, David Wright wrote:

[...]

> Perhaps the simplest way of answering this is to configure
> your system with /etc/default/locale file as LANG=C.UTF-8,
> and unset any specific i18n or L10n settings and see what
> you get. Perhaps try again in 50 years: it could differ.

I guess that is an avenue of investigation. still, I think
packages like a modern Web browser will pull in such
dependencies, either through the distro or (worse) bringing
in their own versions. A browser can't "know" which scripts
a Web page brings along and will insist in rendering Unicode
correctly.

> But in view of that single letter in your reply, and another
> post on d-u, I'll not bother to continue this thread. I'm
> just not interested in taking what looks to me like a
> xenophobic approach to foreign language scripts or anything
> else in Debian.

Please, hold your horses. Lack of knowledge sometimes might
come across as "xenophobic" -- things sometimes clear themselves
once knowledge grows. Give us people a chance to learn :-)

Cheers