Re: 5.15 kernel just won't do on Intel Rocket Lake...

On 2022-02-14 23:00, David wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 at 10:14, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Mon 14 Feb 2022 at 00:40:11 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:
>>> Felix Miata composed on 2022-02-13 23:53 (UTC-0500):
>
>>> The apt*/dpkg system generally seems rather resistant to showing uninstalled
>>> package versions, except for the aptitude "extension".
>
>> Come to think of it, I don't think I can help at all, beyond
>> suggesting that you regularly download the names of the new
>> kernels that appear in the pool itself.
>
>> Yesterday you posted that: "apt-cache and aptitude don't seem to know that
>> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-5.16.0-trunk-amd64-unsigned_5.16.4-1~exp1_amd64.deb
>> exists."
>
>> AIUI, your apt* tools can only find what's indexed in dists/ rather
>> than anything that happens to be in the pool, but I'm not familiar
>> with the policy issues (as a non-developer). I don't think dpkg
>> makes that its business at all.
>
>> BTW the red line (attached) indicates that "trunk" doesn't appear
>> on the page. (It's a term I don't understand.)
>
> I found an explanation of "trunk" in Section 5.2.1 here:
>   https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-versions.html
>
> I don't know what I'm talking about, but it looks like "trunk" packages
> are regularly added into NEW queue (and experimental repo?):
>   https://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?P=trunk&DEFAULTOP=and&B=Gdebian-kernel&SORT=0&HITSPERPAGE=50&xP=trunk
>
> I imagine that they might be short-lived packages because they
> might be quickly superceded with a later ABI name when they
> transition to unstable. Just guessing, because I might learn
> something when someone corrects me. I don't know much and
> struggle to remember details in this area because I don't
> need to regularly think about it.

You make some unfounded and quick link that don't exist.
There's nothing in common between the "trunk" branch in the Linux Kernel
itself (trunk branch being used for release management purpose and
versioning) AND the Debian packaging.

https://www.debian.org/releases/

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernel

https://wiki.debian.org/KernelFAQ

The Debian development of the Kernel is done in it's own salsa git
repository, independent from the Linux Kernel repository. Like all other
package, there's a upstream branch that get pull into the repository
when needed.

https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux.git

https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/branches

--