Re: 5.15 kernel just won't do on Intel Rocket Lake...

On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 at 10:14, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 14 Feb 2022 at 00:40:11 (-0500), Felix Miata wrote:
> > Felix Miata composed on 2022-02-13 23:53 (UTC-0500):
> > > David Wright composed on 2022-02-10 09:27 (UTC-0600):

> > The apt*/dpkg system generally seems rather resistant to showing uninstalled
> > package versions, except for the aptitude "extension".

> Come to think of it, I don't think I can help at all, beyond
> suggesting that you regularly download the names of the new
> kernels that appear in the pool itself.

> Yesterday you posted that: "apt-cache and aptitude don't seem to know that
> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-5.16.0-trunk-amd64-unsigned_5.16.4-1~exp1_amd64.deb
> exists."

> AIUI, your apt* tools can only find what's indexed in dists/ rather
> than anything that happens to be in the pool, but I'm not familiar
> with the policy issues (as a non-developer). I don't think dpkg
> makes that its business at all.

> BTW the red line (attached) indicates that "trunk" doesn't appear
> on the page. (It's a term I don't understand.)

I found an explanation of "trunk" in Section 5.2.1 here:
  https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-versions.html

I don't know what I'm talking about, but it looks like "trunk" packages
are regularly added into NEW queue (and experimental repo?):
  https://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?P=trunk&DEFAULTOP=and&B=Gdebian-kernel&SORT=0&HITSPERPAGE=50&xP=trunk

I imagine that they might be short-lived packages because they
might be quickly superceded with a later ABI name when they
transition to unstable. Just guessing, because I might learn
something when someone corrects me. I don't know much and
struggle to remember details in this area because I don't
need to regularly think about it.