Re: Uninstalling a package removes other essential packages: What is the best course of action?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 11:18:12AM +0100, Stella Ashburne wrote:
> Dearie
>
> > Most of it just slips in as the default language
> > of Debian.
>
> Does Debian have a default language? What is it? Latin? Esperanto? American English?

Probably N. European English as learned in school - which covers most denizens
of the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland  - and also
Australia and NZ (and Commonwealth English - which is largely influenced
by British spelling - Canadian is a hybrid spelling.)

If English is not your first language, then your English will normally be
determined by where your English teacher studied.

This question came up - I think on debian-devel many years ago - and somebody
said, as I remember it: - "British/American English - it really doesn't matter
if you'll accept bad English" - and I think that's the right attitude.

Debian does support many languages - but the level of translation and
percentage of wiki/www.debian.org is significantly higher for some than for
others.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater