Misremembered (was: Re: Stupid question)

On Saturday, February 12, 2022 09:04:50 AM rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> The way I understand it (but I may be misremembering), grub temporaily
> boots into a, well I'll say restricted Linux kernel and OS which is used
> by grub until it boots up the main system.  The kernel used in grub may
> not (probably doesn't match the kernel used after grub brings up the main
> system, and it wil bring up the appropriate kernel for that main system
> (the one you choose).

I think I did mis-remember this, and the behavior I described is more like the
behavior of the Debian installer (i.e., it boots an image (with a Linux
kernel)  into RAM to use temporarily for the installation.

I just wanted to try to correct this for posterity.

If anyone can confirm this (both my mistake about grub and my (new)
recollection about the Debian installer, those would be good things. :-)

Sorry for the noise!