Re: Installation on a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13

On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 22:29:05 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2022 at 12:05:54PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 14:42:27 +0100
> > Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's likely because your graphic chip is not properly recognized
> > > and the OS is using some low resolution. That image is displayed
> > > by the hardware 1:1 on the physical pixels of the screen.
> >

> I would not have done it this way, myself. As ever, other people,
> other requirements and ways of thinking.
>
> Looking quickly, it looks as if the Yoga has 1600 x 900 so something
> might have got confused.
>
> I'd have plugged in an external display and done it that way, expert
> text mode only and used the unofficial non-free firmware .iso.
> Definitely text mode only to start with. It's an Intel chipset, so
> Intel firmware likely needed.

I thought about that, but didn't want to steal a monitor from my
desktop.

> > Yes, there should be an option. It wasn't present when I booted to
> > UEFI. D-i went directly to a GUI menu, not the text mode to which I
> > am accustomed.
> >

> Hit advanced options and you get the option for text mode install /
> expert etc. It may occasionally come up initially as almost a box
> within a box in UEFI mode but that's normal.

I did check the advanced options menu. Indeed, that is where one goes
to use expert text mode, which I prefer unless I have a preseed file.

It could be due to the wonky graphics, though.

As for the network issue, I have ordered a USB Ethernet adapter. I will
wait until that arrives (late February) before continuing. That is
probably something I should have in my kit anyway.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/