Re: Uninstalling a package removes other essential packages: What is the best course of action?

Hello Dearie

I am happy to hear from you again and hope that everything's fine with you and your family.

> Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2022 at 6:23 AM
> From: "David" <bouncingcats@gmail.com>
> To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Uninstalling a package removes other essential packages: What is the best course of action?
>

> But, why do you care? There may be many packages installed
> that you will never notice that you will never use.
> Why pick on this one?
>
> libthai appears to not occupy much disk space:
>

> So there's hardly any win for the effort.

Indeed, you asked a very pertinent question.

"Why pick on this one?", you asked.

It just happens that this file was in my installed Debian. I have checked for other non-English files and found none other than Thai files.

"But, why do you care?" you wondered.

I care because I am worried that it may contain poorly designed code or backdoors that enable root privileges without my explicit intervention. Nobody has bothered to audit the Thai files that I mentioned for integrity and probable malicious activity.

> Alternatively, don't install lxqt-core. Only install what you want.
> Some ideas here:
>   https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
>
> Naturally this kind of thing takes time and effort which you may
> or may not find is worthwhile depending on your goals, and
> what you choose to spend productive time doing.

You're right. I don't have the time nor the intellectual capacity to customize my Debian setup. I'll just have to look for other ways to install a custom Debian without foreign-language files.