Re: solid state storage device with USB type-A plug for use as OS drive (was Re: Installation "Bullseye")

> "High endurance" means "I will not be awoken in the middle of the night by
> the smell of fried electronics".  This was what happened when I was using
> SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 128 GB flash drives for Time Machine backups.

In that case the "TBW" rating is unrelated.

> I have several 16 GB models of the same drive and they have survived usage
> as Debian and FreeBSD OS disks.  I very much like their compact size, but do
> not like their heat generation.  I am worried that they may suffer the same
> fate as above.

Hmm... USB usually is taken to imply "not 24/7" so those gizmos are more
likely to fail in such a use scenario, indeed :-(.

You might be better off with a "normal SSD" drive (non-USB) and then
a separate USB-to-<foo> adapter.  And maybe "low power" will be a more
useful search keyword than "high endurance" ;-)

At the very least, I'd take a careful look at the advertised power
consumption under load in the spec sheet (spec sheets are easier to find
and more complete/detailed for "normal SSD" drives than for USB flash
drives, another good reason to prefer building ones USB flash drives "by
hand").

        Stefan