Re: Plop in Debian install HDD into entirely new system

On 2/11/22 16:28, David Christensen wrote:
On 2/11/22 12:34, Thomas Anderson wrote:
Hello friends,

I was curious what would happen if I threw my server HDD, into an entirely new system:

different motherboard, different CPU (Intel instead of AMD), Ram, video card, everything.

I would like to upgrade my system, and ideal case, this would simply work. I think I have done

it in the past, but with less variables. I have never done it with EVERYTHING outside of the hard drive

being different.

Thanks.

If both machines are the same architecture (e.g. x64_64/amd64),

Correction x86_64/amd64.

both use the same style firmware (e.g. BIOS or UEFI), and both are configured to boot from the same partitioning scheme (e.g. MBR or GPT), the system instance should boot and you should be able to log in from the console.  As other readers have noted, you may need to install/ configure/ reconfigure networking, graphics, sound, and/or other drivers; and hypervisor optimizations may be different (if you are running virtual machines).

David