Re: Memory leak

On 2022-02-11 14:52, Celejar wrote:
As I mentioned in another post, I do this occasionally, but I'm not
sure how to interpret the results. I just killed firefox; I got back
about 3.5 GB, but the system is still using about 4.8, and Xorg's usage
hasn't changed: ~ 4436M / 3081M / 105M.

Closing Firefox returns 100% of Firefox memory to OS (as long as all the processes are killed). I don't know that it would affect Xorg's usage though.

A lot of memory in Linux (and other OS's) is allocated to cache/buffers to speed things up. As programs use more memory the amount for that goes down.

For example on my system now with 16GB I have:
MiB Mem :  16007.9 total,   4564.8 free,
6306.2 used,   5136.9 buff/cache

(with thunderbird, chrome, etc. open).

So 5GB is used for cache and 6GB is used for programs and about 4GB is free.

Bijan