Re: Memory leak

On Fri Feb 11 09:43:03 2022 Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 09:53:17 -0700
> Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 11:06:01 -0500
>> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to have a serious memory leak on my system (Lenovo W550s) -
>>> the memory usage seems to slowly but more or less steadily keep
>>> increasing.
>>>
>>> This is a more or less normal (I think) desktop installation of Sid,
>>> running Xfce4. Typical applications used are Firefox (currently with
>>> just one extension: uBlock Origin), LibreOffice Writer, Sylpheed,
>>> Xfce4 Terminal, and Liferea, all from the official repos.
>>
>> Firefox left running for days on end is a possible culprit.
>
> So I've heard. So is this something I just have to live with? Does
> everyone have this problem? I actually did used to kill firefox
> when I was experiencing memory pressure - it certainly relieved
> the immediate problem, but I think I found that not all the memory
> used was returned, and when I restarted firefox, the problem of
> running out of memory often returned before long (i.e., in much
> less time than after a fresh install).

You can quickly test this by taking Firefox down.  If the problem is
indeed with Firefox (as opposed to Debian), this isn't the place to
discuss it.

It seems to be the fashion nowadays to leave one's web browser up 24/7,
with dozens of tabs open.  Personally I can't understand this - I seldom
have more than two or three tabs open at once, and most of the time I
have only one open, which is why I treasure the option to not display
a tab bar when only one tab is open.  Also, I shut down my browser
(Seamonkey, for what it's worth) when I'm not using it; this reduces
load on the system and might even help security a little bit.

However, if this is a non-negotiable item for you, and the problem is
with Firefox, I suggest you either take the discussion to a Firefox
forum or just learn to live with it.
--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Life is perverse.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  It can be beautiful -