Re: Compatibility of Debian 9 compiled files in Debian 11 version

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 05:54:08PM -0000, Nagaraju Mulpuri wrote:
> Dear Debian Users,
> Greetings of the day!
> I have been using Debian 9 version for the last 4 years. Recently, my computer crashed. I have to install Debian OS again. I am planning to install Debian 11 version. I have many of my own programs compiled on the Debian 9 version. Compiled programs in Debian 9 version will support in Devian 11 version? Or, should I go with Debian 9 version?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Have a great day!
> Best regards,
> Raju

Hi Raju

If your programs are your own: what language are they written in - and
did you have them backed up?

I suspect the problem you may have is if they are in older versions of
Python - otherwise, C or C++ should work.

Be aware that some programs may be more memory hungry / larger in Debian 11
but otherwise there shouldn't be a problem.

I would respectfully suggest starting from the unofficial non-free .iso file
to give yourself a head start with any needed firmware.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater