Re: systemd[1]: Starting Daily apt upgrade and clean activities...

Lee wrote:
> Apparently the syslog message
>   systemd[1]: Starting Daily apt upgrade and clean activities...
> is caused by systemd / apt-daily.timer - correct?
>
> # sudo systemctl status apt-daily.timer
> ● apt-daily.timer - Daily apt download activities
>      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apt-daily.timer; enabled;
> vendor preset: enabled)
>      Active: active (waiting) since Fri 2022-01-28 15:16:57 EST; 1
> weeks 3 days ago
>     Trigger: Wed 2022-02-09 00:33:19 EST; 10h left
>    Triggers: ● apt-daily.service
>
> I'm sure I don't want any automatic apt upgrade happening, but what
> are the "clean activities"?

"apt clean" removes unnecessary download packages.

My personal preference is to have upgrade packages downloaded
automatically but not installed, and to get a daily email message
from each box in my house with a list of what is ready. After I
do an upgrade, I also do a clean.

At work, the local repo syncs with Debian mirrors, then tells
the sysadmin team what's new. They push packages into each of
several tiers of machines: the "any time" machines which can, if
necessary, be rebooted mid-day; the "evening" machines which can
stop after people have gone home; the "weekend" machines which
need to wait for a maintenance window unless there is an
emergency.

-dsr-